How to choose the carp fishing shelter
Tent, bivvy or brollys? Let's discover together how to choose the best shelter from carp fishing to our needs.
To those of you who are getting close to carp “night of a week-end or weeks on the banks of the rivers, lakes and quarries, it is natural to question: what kind of tent or shelter do I need?
Determine the choice are three factors: theenvironment, the length of sessions and theintention of fishing even in the colder periods.
A fourth element, that influences all the others because it is unrelated to the fishery itself, but concerns the rules that regulate the fisheries: if we usually do sessions in environments where night fishing is allowed only with a certain kind of shelter, for example umbrellas (not the tents) and our purchase will be directed to a range of products specific.
That said, let's analyze one by one the types of shelter specifically for carp fishing, explaining why and when to use them. Finally, we make an analysis of some of the features that, in cross-section, touching all the guards present on the market.
UMBRELLAS AND BROLLYS
We start from the shelter easier, or umbrella, which in England is defined brollys
The main feature is that it opens just like an umbrella: from the center, push upward on the pin, and the system of the arms opens the brollys just like you open a umbrella or parasol from the beach.
Is the shelter ideal for the carp fishing “daily” is for the overnighter, or for anyone who is caught in a single night, and for the sessions in the late spring and summer, where the temperatures are more mild and pleasant.
Let's see together what are the pros of this type of shelter:
- Speed: it is undoubtedly the shelter more quickly to assemble. If we exclude the picketing and the application of accessories, in two seconds, a brollys ready;
- Modularity: in the market there are different types of brollys, the majority today has both the floor (typically attachable to the umbrella itself through velcro fastenings), both of the front cover, to be able to use it also in cold periods and transform it then in a small tent. Depending on the type of draw that we will be able to change the structure of the umbrella simply by bringing on the spot or leaving you to house various components;
- Mimicry: a brollys is small and blends in better in the environment compared to a tent;
- Regulations: often the umbrella (mounted without the floor) is the only shelter that we are allowed to assemble in the environments where the rules for camping and night fishing are very restrictive.
The defects, if we can call them, are these:
- Dimensions: when closed, a brollys occupies a lot of space and this may give us some headache in the transport. It is true that on the market there are special rod holders (quiver) with a central insert for the transport of the brollys, but usually the movements are cumbersome. A brollys has the advantage of being much lighter than a tent;
- Single top cover, a feature that is felt especially in the winter months, because the single sheet is a synonym for condensation, and humidity inside the shelter. There are models with flysheet can be purchased separately as an option, but the reduction of the condensate is minimal, while increasing the resilience to the weather;
- Weather resistance: compared to a tent, brollys has a frame much smaller, though very elastic. In case of strong wind or major storms, the beach umbrella is the perfect cover.
- Interior space: we don't think of buying a brollys and to be able to fill the overly of equipment, because it is a shelter small, ideal to accommodate us with our cot and the bare minimum of equipment. In addition, we take into account that the internal wings (forming the frame) occupy an important space in the upper part, and therefore also a space that we could define as “life” is reduced compared to that we can use in a tent. Bump the head against the arms of the brollys, woken suddenly by a departure, is not in fact a rare event;
If we decide to buy an umbrella for carp fishing then, it is necessary to take into account some other feature, such as the presence or absence of the front panel (“close it” like a curtain), the amount of storm poles, pegs, stabilisers (typically 2 or 4) that the stiffen and make it more resistant to gusts of wind, the presence in supplied or less of the floor and the type of material of which it is made and, finally, the presence of the net-mosquito net in the main window and in the lateral ones.
Having said this, if you buy the brollys? A fisherman who engages in short sessions, a maximum of two nights, who wants to waste little time in mounting the shelter and who want to shelter small.
Finally, there is one last consideration: more than an alternative to the tent (only necessary in case of special rules governing night fishing), the brollys is a great complement, because we can provide shelter in the moments of waiting before we went back in the sleeping bag (and tent) for the night.
That's why in many camps of carp anglers engaged in a long session there are both tents, both the brollys-the parasols, which act as a shelter support.
TENTS AND DOMES
From one extreme to the other: the tents
(in English often referred to as the dome
), even if for a single person, are bigger than the umbrellas
, both as a space and how to inner space
The term “tent” is, in reality, we must break away from the ideal image that we have of the typical shelter of a dome with ribs that is used for mountaineering or camping.
Carp fishing, in fact, has developed shelters called “tents” but who have the facilities and opening types are very different. Classified in this way:
- Curtains the classic: the slats and cloth are two separate elements, with the first to sneak in the second. It tends not very popular in the market of the guards, specific for carp fishing, because they are very challenging to assemble. They have the advantage of having the minimum space to be closed;
- Tends the classic quick-opening: the battens are pre-mounted in the curtain, and, in the closing stages of the shelter, do not detach from the cloth but remain inside. Quick to assemble, have as the only defect in the footprint, which is typically remarkable;
- Tents quick-opening “shell”: are the most common, because they have the battens (typically of a diameter very generous compared to curtains classic) pre-mounted in the curtain, and are very quick to open. From them have the advantage of robustness: they are in fact among the most resistant in case of wind;
- Tents quick-opening “web”: similar to the shell, the only difference being in the system which is closed to the frame, which has a very similar shape to that of an umbrella.
The tents are the shelters favourite for those who make long sessions and for those who want to stay comfortablethanks to the interior space, in fact, can accommodate, in addition to the fishermen, a lot of equipment and all the material necessary to pass more time along the shores.
Of course, nothing forbids us to use them in the sessions quick and snappy: curtains modern, thanks to the systems of fast opening, can be erected and picketed in less than five minutes.
The distinction is not the time but the clutter (and weight): in fact they are heavy and bulky when closed.
The weight is due in most cases to the poles, which in modern tents is not fiberglass, but solid aluminum, and the cloth, which is much heavier and the double (or in some cases, triple).
In fact, the tents have nearly all of the double sheet: an outer cloth cover, which shelters from the weather, and one inside, which provides more protection.
The two sheets in combination, if separated between them by a few centimeters, allowing theelimination of condensation and humidity inside the tent: that's why the “domes”, are shelters for the long session.
Simply, protect better fisherman.
About double, before purchasing a tent, we have to consider a double possibility:
- Double-towel-cell internal: we have a “tent, in the tent, which is a sort of “shell” isolated from the cover on the outside and from the floor. This type of feature is ideal for those who want the best thermal insulation from moisture.
- Double sheet “the English”: the main structure is added to the flysheet (thesecond skin), detached a few inches from the cover primary. These curtains generally have the floating floor, joined to the frame via velcro strips (and only rarely with zip), and then isolate the less the fisherman from the humidity that rises from the ground.
To sum up, the curtains are ideal for people who spend a lot of time fishing and those who face even the extreme weather conditions.
Among the features which we should consider in the purchase, let's look at precisely the presence of a cell-internal or not, of the floating floor, the windows along the fabric that provide ventilation, and better insulation from moisture, and the ability to purchase optional extras such as the “third skin” (the third skin), or a flysheet add-in that further improves the seal to the weather (dedicated to those who make fish in the winter, with very low temperatures).
What is it, precisely, a bivvy
? The answer is not easy, because in the conception of English as a bivvy is the equivalent of both a tent or a beach umbrella
We simplify in this way: the bivvy is a shelter quick and small as an umbrella but as strong as a tent.
In the category of “bivvy” includes all of the modern guards from carp fishing, equipped with quick opening, floor detachable and materials that are very resistant to the weather.
Typically, the bivvy is the ideal choice for the fisherman who does a bit of everything, or sessions of a few nights as well as weeks without looking for extreme comfort.
The modern bivvy , have robust enclosures that resist very well to the weather, are equipped with double sheet, and of course, quick opening.
They cost a bit more sun-umbrellas and a little less of the curtains.
Analyzed the types of shelter, we look now to the technical characteristics that contribute to the choice.
BREATHABLE OR NOT?
A cloth is breathable when it protects from rain and at the same time takes out the humidity.
To have the breathable fabric are the curtains the most expensive on the market, precisely because, to have a good cloth that traspiri, is necessary for absolute quality. And the quality, you know, the coast.
The majority of the tents on the market is equipped with waterproof sheeting that protect the big from the elements, but retain the humidity inside the shelter, which is why they feature windows with mosquito nets that make the air circulate inside.
Only in this way, you can counteract the annoying “sense of humidity”.
The towels are breathable, are typically more delicate: the tent is being taken care of better if we are to maintain the guaranteed performance at the time of purchase.
THE WATER COLUMN
In the technical data sheets of the tents there is often the figure of the so-called “water column”.
This value indicates the waterproofness of the fabric. That is, it indicates the pressure, expressed in millimeters, that can weigh on a cloth first that this leaves penetrate the water.
The modern tents, carp fishing, have typically values of a column of water that oscillate between 5,000 and 10,000 mm.
We take into account, in fact, that the most high is the water column, the greater the resistance the less the breathability.
Risk of buy repair virtually impenetrable by rain, but there inzuppiamo however simply with the water vapour produced from the breath or from the underlying soil (condensation).
So, the advice I give is to not focus exclusively on the data of the water column.
THE MATERIAL OF THE FLOOR
Generally, the floors of the tents are of two types: nylon and Pvc.
The second type of material is much more resistant and is supplied to the tents, more expensive, or is sold as an optional extra.
In fact, it guarantees thecomplete isolation from the humidity that rises from the ground on which we are standing the tent.
The nylon tarp is less expensive, less heavy and cumbersome, but has the disadvantage of deteriorating quickly (even with just the front feet of the bed on which download the our weight, if we mount the tent on soils characterised by rocks and gravel) and let the water, if the ground on which we mount the shelter is very wet.
In the case of tents with a floor made of nylon, and the advice I give is to “double it” by adding another nylon tarp under, so as to increase the insulation from the ground.
ONE OR TWO PLACES?
Who is going to buy a tent might wonder: I'll take it in one or two places? The answer is: it depends.
The advice I give is to keep well in view the measures of the curtains as shown by the catalogues, and relate them to the size of our bed and the space is “vital” that we want for us.
The distinction between the tabernacle from place to place, or two, in fact, the market is not unique: there are tents proposed by two people who, in reality, are from “a place and a half”, and tends to be a person in whom, clutching a bit, we manage to stick two sun loungers.
As there tends to be a person in whom there is not even a cot: it is the case of the new models of bed king-size bed which, because of the size much larger than the standard ones, they need much more space. That's why in the moment of choice we must look well to the size in centimeters provided by the manufacturer and take into account everything: the couch, as already said, the amount of material that we bring to fishing, of our physical size (though we are two metres high, a tent a place is not for us), the length of the sessions (most days we fish, the more accessories we carry), and the need to have more space to move inside.
As with all things, the more the curtains are abused, the more quickly it will deteriorate. Here are some practical tips to protect our shelter and enjoy a long time of its performance:
- The tent, closed in his bag, must be kept dry: never store a tent wet, or worse, still wet, in her bag. If we dismantle the tent in the rain, once at home, we will have to have the foresight to re-open it and let it dry before putting it to rest. The moisture “eat” and ruin the curtains like nothing else;
- Repair, clean, always: mud, sand, and pebbles are the main enemies of the resistance of the fabric. If we addressed a session of fishing “dirty”, once home, we devote a bit of time to clean the cover. Have the tent clean is nice, but mostly useful;
- The eye at the seams: the junction points of the sheets of the tents are equipped with heat-sealed seams. That is, the seams are covered by a small waterproof tape, applied hot, which prevents water from entering inside. Keep your eye on the critical points, and act with specific products where we saw a deterioration of the tent in relation to the seams;
- Spray the waterproofing: the modern tents carp fishing have sheets of high-performance, true, but they also need a bit of maintenance. In the market there are spray on waterproofing for tents that have the task to “regenerate” the curtains that you want for the use you want to neglect, they can no longer be waterproof when they were new. The advice I give is not to overdo it with the amount of waterproofing applied and with the frequency. A treatment mild, every two years is more than enough for an “average” of the tent.
In conclusion, we reiterate that the purchase of a shelter from carp fishing to be done taking into account the fishing sessions that we can do and the type of environment that we usually face.
Carp anglers most experts almost never have a shelter “exclusive” (or just the tent, or just the umbrella), but at least two: a tent for the long session and brollys (or bivvy) to the fish fast, or in the periods of the year when the climate is more mild.
To those who want to start with the night fishing, we recommend looking for a shelter that is solid and spacious, then a tent, is to take confidence in the way more soft with the campground-fishing, both to be ready to face unexpected long session.